Are you thinking of learning a bit more about Conscious Discipline? Here are a few things that may be helpful.
Conscious Discipline requires a SHIFT!
Traditional discipline says:
· - It is possible to control others through environmental manipulation.
· - Rules govern behavior.
· - Conflict is a disruption.
Conscious Discipline says:
· - Controlling and changing ourselves is possible and has a profound impact on the children in our care.
· - Connectedness governs behavior.
· - Conflict is an opportunity to teach.
As you move forward think about connecting with the children in your care. Cooperation follows connection. Disconnected students are disruptive because they lack impulse control and have decreased self-regulation skills. A connection activity as soon as your children arrive in your classroom stimulates the impulse control system in the brain. It generates a neurochemical bath that says “pay attention”. Simply take a moment to greet each student as they come into your classroom. Remember, to give eye contact, touch, playfulness and be present.
Making this small change will give you immediate positive results for you and the children in your classroom.
Wishing you well,